IT Contractor Insurance

Combined insurance policies for IT contractors

If you’re an IT contractor and are unsure of what insurance policies you need we are here to assist you to ensure that you are covered correctly.

IT contractor insurance is usually placed on an information technology policy which has both public liability and professional indemnity insurance included.

Don’t spend countless hours shopping around, we provide you the most competitive options the first time.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 110+ Reviews

Get a Quick Quote
What you need to know about

IT Contractor Insurance cover for your business

If you’re a contractor doing work in the IT space then its important to understand the insurance that you need to cover yourself correctly. The technology space has become one of the most relied upon industries and the importance of technology for business owners has seen the rise of claims being made against IT contractors. 

An information technology policy is specifically designed for businesses or contractors that are providing any of the following services:

  • IT consultancy services 
  • IT maintenance, repair or installation
  • Website Design and Development (please note some policies exclude development work) 
  • Search engine optimisation
  • Digital marketing consultancy and management 
  • Plus many more

The combined policy ensures that you are covered for the professional advice and services that you are providing and the liability component ensures that if something critical was damaged then you are covered for the negligent damages. Some contractors are under the impression that only professional indemnity insurance is required however, this is not the case. We specialise in PI PL insurance for IT contractors to ensure that all aspects are covered. The PI PL stands for professional indemnity, public liability insurance which is commonly placed on a combined IT liability policy. 

Why Priority Insurance Brokers?

Why should you use Priority Insurance Brokers to arrange your IT Contractor Insurance?

Stop paying more for insurance, get a quote now.

Why you should have an IT Contractor insurance policy?

As an IT contractor you are essentially running your own business which means that you could potentially be held as being liable for any negligent acts.

With the increasing demand on technology as well as the advancements that continue to evolve this sector it is important that your insurance policy is kept up to date with the work that you do. Insurers have quite strict criteria when it comes to what they will and won’t cover for example, some common areas that lead an insurer to decline a policy are:

  • Work within Government or high risk capacities such as hospitals, banking, airports or defence
  • Working with a large security exposure like security consultancy, data penetration testing
  • Working with crypto related entities

The above list doesn’t mean that insurers will specifically exclude cover for you, they just have restrictions with how much capacity they can take on for certain sectors of your business.

Need a Broker who can assist with IT Contractor Insurance? We've got you covered.

We understand that running a business takes a lot of work and as a business owner you’re expected to be across all of the different aspects of your business operation. We have tried to make our process as simple as possible and all of our Brokers work with each business owners to have a strong understanding of your business and whats required to be in place to ensure that there are no nasty surprises. We pride ourselves on not hiding behind the fine print. 

Your IT Contractor Insurance Questions Answered

Why do I need both Public Liability and Professional Indemnity?

An IT contractor indemnity insurance will only cover you for the advice and recommendations that you provide. In some cases a PI policy is enough however, if you are doing any installation, repairs, maintenance, configuration and visiting clients work place than you need to have the public liability component included.

Why is it better to combine these policies together?

A PI PL insurance for IT contractors is best combined under the one policy for a couple of reasons. The main one being, combined policies are designed to work together in the event of needing to make a claim. This ensures that minimal gaps in cover can potentially arise. Dealing with two seperate insurers can cause gaps in coverage which can lead claims to a stalemate of who is responsible and for what components.

How do I cover my business if I am a full service agency?

There are a number of businesses that offer a wide range of services to their client so it is important that all aspects of your business are advised to the insurer and listed on your policy schedule. Business insurance for IT contractors needs to specify all activities that you are doing. If they are not listed, you can only assume that they are not covered.

What happens to my policy if I stop trading?

As the professional indemnity component is a claims made policy this means that if the policy is cancelled, no further claims can be claimed on the policy. A policy needs to be in place when a claim is made so if you are winding up your business opeartion, you should consider a run off cover until you are confident that it is unlikely a claim could arise.


How do I obtain business insurance for IT contractors?

It is quite simple, speaking with an insurance broker is typically the easiest way to obtain business insurance for IT contractors. After a brieft discussion, our brokers can give you advice in regards to what policies you may need to have in place.


Is PI/PL Insurance for IT contractors expensive?

No, its not expensive. Considering most other professional service occupations require 2 seperate policies, being able to have a combined PI PL insurance for IT contractors has allowed insurers to charge very attractive rates.


What happens when I need to make a claim?

We assist with the management of all insurance claims under all of our managed policies. We work with business owners to get the optimal results while also handling a lot of the admin work involved.

Other common policies that may be needed.

There are a number of other policies that we typically recommend to business owners that require PI PL insurance for IT contractors and this typically includes

  • Business contents and stock cover including portable tools and equipment 
  • Business interruption insurance
  • Cyber Liability Insurance
  • Motor Vehicle or Truck Insurance (if offering a delivery or on call service)
  • Transit insurance (if sending things like servers and other hardware to your client)
  • Management Liability Insurance (to cover allegations against managements negligent acts)

As an Insurance Broker, we specialise in packaging up multiple policies which present the best priced options but having them managed together in easy to maintain policies.

Ready to speak with someone?

Book your free comparison now

Ready to speak with a Broker?
Book a free comparison now.

side popup

"*" indicates required fields

What insurance can we help you with?*